Welcome!

I created this blog when I began competing and use it to share my experiences as a physique competitor, personal trainer/business owner, and wife. I'm an IFBB Pro Women's Physique Competitor who is determined to re-introduce feminine muscularity to the sport. Follow me on my journey to compete in the first women's physique Olympia. I'll be writing every step of the way!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Trish's 2011 Competition Season- Decisions, decisions...

After the Contra Costa competition I emailed the promoter to request feedback from the judges of the contest.  Even though I placed 1st in my class, I placed 6th of 6 competitors in the overall comparisons.  I was curious as to why I placed so low compared to the other girls so getting the judges' feedback was  important to me.  Figure is a hard sport because it is so subjective.  There is no set "look" so getting the right amount of muscle, hardness, and symmetry is tricky. The fact is that the physical requirements vary in each organization. The natural organizations want you harder, leaner, and more muscular and according to the judges I heard back from this week, the NPC is going toward a softer look for the figure girls. At the check-ins the night before the contest, the promoter of the Contra Costa show recommended the new physique division to the "more muscular figure girls".  I never really had considered myself a more "muscular" figure girl until I heard the feedback from the judges.

All 3 of the judges told me that they think I'd do well in the new physique division, so now I've got some decisions to make.  Back in 2008, I started my fitness journey by competing in bodybuilding.  I really enjoyed it, but was afraid that I was just too small to really progress in the sport.  So in 2009, I competed in both bodybuilding and figure to see where I fit in the best.  I ended up placing first in both, but the size of my legs seemed to put me more into the figure category (at least in the natural divisions).  Over the past 2 years, I've really focused on building my legs up to match my upper body and I feel like I've made some pretty good progress; increasing my symmetry and overall muscular development.

But the amount of muscle I carry on my frame now may be a little much for the NPC figure division.  Personally I love having muscle.  I think it helps me to stand out because it's not often that you see a woman with "delts" not shoulders.  I love having "cuts" and definition and I'll even admit that I like having both guys and girls stop me in the store to ask me how I got my arms to look like they do. 

So, now it's time to make a decision.  July 29-30th (USA's in Vegas) is the first NPC physique division contest that I can do.  I was planning on doing the show as a figure competitor, but now I'm thinking it would be a good time to try out the new division.  I love performing routines and you do get so much more time on stage.  Plus, I feel that I can really bring a femininity to the sport that I think has been lacking in bodybuilding, with the exception of the "natural" female bodybuilders. 

I've decided to start practicing the new physique poses, but I'm going to still compete in the Cal State Figure show next weekend in Culver City and just see how I do.  I've leaned out my legs a little and tightened up my glutes and hamstrings, so hopefully I've have a good showing there.  The fact is that I love to compete and whether or not it's in figure, bodybuilding, or physique I'm going to have fun, express myself, and show off my muscular (yet I think feminine) physique!

Culver City here I come!  One week and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment