Welcome!

I created this blog when I began competing and use it to share my experiences as a physique competitor, personal trainer/business owner, and wife. I'm an IFBB Pro Women's Physique Competitor who is determined to re-introduce feminine muscularity to the sport. Follow me on my journey to compete in the first women's physique Olympia. I'll be writing every step of the way!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Trish's Comp prep #4- good days & bad days


Starting weight: 113, Current Weight: 107.4

I thought that I'd write about the struggles that I, as a competitor, go through in dieting for a contest. There are several phases in contest prep & right now I'm still in the 1st month or the "excitement phase" as I'd call it. My workouts are still going really good, I can see that I'm getting leaner, I just ordered my competition suit, and I'm ready for a fake tan!

It's in the excitement phase that I feel really motivated to lose the weight but it's also when my are hormones seem to start to acting up...

Then, I end up going to a restaurant with my husband & step kids (In-N-Out Burger, Chipotle, just to name a couple) and there I am, lunch bag in hand, watching them order things I could scarf down in minutes, and smelling the food that could easily sabbotage all of my hard work! It's on those days that I have the hardest time sticking to my meal plan. It has occured to me that my clients (especially the dieting competitors) probably feel the same way as I do. Now in my 4th competition season, I've found that being around food temptations doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to, but it can still be a struggle. That's when I call on my support team for the extra motivation I need to get through the bad days.

My husband has been my biggest fan. He's not only my coach and trainer, he's the voice of reason when I need to hear one. One day last week, I was in a terrible mood. I didn't sleep well the night before and I was feeling really irritable and down on myself. After sending him a text that said something like "I'm grumpy :-(", he made a special picture for me. It had 4 of the top girls in the figure industry, on stage, looking their best, and it was titled "Come and Beat Me!". That was all I needed to turn my mood around. That picture is still hanging on my fridge & I use it as motivation to stay on top of my diet & workouts.

What's your motivation? Who's your "go to person" for when you're feeling down? If you don't know, then you'd better take a step back & think through your competition season a little more. This sport is one of the hardest around- both physically & mentally. No matter how strong of a person you are, you're going to need someone to lean on. Notice I said someone, not something! Trainers, spouses, friends, and fellow competitors are examples of the typical support teams a competitor needs in his/her life. If you don't have anyone close to you to lean on, get on forums (bodybuilding.com, siouxcountry.com, and facebook to name a few) and find one!!! You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment