Welcome!

I created this blog when I began competing and use it to share my experiences as a physique competitor, personal trainer/business owner, and wife. I'm an IFBB Pro Women's Physique Competitor who is determined to re-introduce feminine muscularity to the sport. Follow me on my journey to compete in the first women's physique Olympia. I'll be writing every step of the way!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Trish's 2011 comp prep, week 14- Note to self: you don't suck!

Starting weight- 113 lbs, Current weight- 106.7 again...


This week I was really anxious about my weigh-in. I wasn’t worried about the actual weight number on the scale but the body fat and water weight info. It was one of those mornings where I woke up bloated and had a stomach ache to go along with it. On Saturday (after my terrible weigh-in Friday) my hubby changed my diet. This was actually the first change we’ve made a change in my 13 weeks of dieting! Mike always says “If it’s working, don’t change it!” So for my first diet change of the season, he increased my carbs by about 15%, kept my calories the same, and just adjusted my ratios. He also took out my high carb day (which I must say that I was not happy about) but my cardio remained unchanged.

Although my weight stayed the same this week, I did see some downward movement in my body fat. At least that tells me my body is responding favorably to the adjustments he made. I get so nervous about making changes close to contest (only 3 weeks left!) but that’s where the whole trust factor comes in. You’ve got to trust your trainer 100%!!! In this case my trainer also happens to be my husband, but the trust does need to be there even if you’re not actually married to them…

I find that right about this time on my competition dieting I tend to start the self-sabotaging. I starting thinking things like “Am I ready? How will I compare to the other girls? Should I be doing more cardio? Why won’t that little bit of fat under my butt go away?” You know, stuff like that. I imagine that pretty much everyone does it regardless of how good of shape they’re in. I’m an optimistic person in general, but I do tend to criticize myself- especially when it comes to my body/outward appearance. I’ve struggled with weight my entire adult life and I know how easy it is for my body to get off track if I let it. But I’m learning that while I can’t control many things in life, I can control what I choose to eat, how intensely I spin on the bike, and how I treat my loved ones while I’m in this dieting phase.

I was talking to a friend at the gym yesterday (she’s also competing this year) and she was telling me about how she’s been trying to date & diet at the same time. That just has disaster written all over it! It’s hard enough for a competitor to have much of a social life let alone trying to go on “a date” with someone. Bringing your own food to Mikuni’s would really suck…but it’s the lifestyle we choose when we get into this sport. The idea of belonging on that stage outweighs all the buffets, candy, Girl Scout cookies, and yes even alcohol one can handle. What may seem crazy to the “average” person is the norm for us…but it’s all for the love of the sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment