Welcome!

I created this blog when I began competing and use it to share my experiences as a physique competitor, personal trainer/business owner, and wife. I'm an IFBB Pro Women's Physique Competitor who is determined to re-introduce feminine muscularity to the sport. Follow me on my journey to compete in the first women's physique Olympia. I'll be writing every step of the way!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I'll take one large helping...of humble pie, please!

Well I had my IFBB Pro women's physique debut this weekend and all I can say is that it was a huge reality check for me.  I woke up on the Monday before the show completely shredded and down to 100 lbs on my scale.  My husband and I freaked out and started adding carbs and taking away cardio to "fill me back out".  Needless to say, that was a terrible idea.  By the time I got to the stage on Saturday, my body had rejected all of my hard work over the past 4 months.  It held every carb I ate and all the water I drank just stayed under my skin.  That resulted in a smooth and soft look- the opposite of what I'd envisioned for my pro debut!  Everyone said to me, "Wow you looked great, but I couldn't really see your abs" or "Your routine was awesome but your legs looked soft".  Those are not the comments I was hoping to hear after working so hard to get ready for the show!

In all honesty, I knew I was bloated when I went on stage.  I could feel it and see it.  In fact, miserable is the word I would use to describe myself before I went up there.  But, I had to "save face" and just try and hope that the judges would be swayed by my personality and presentation.  So, I strutted my stuff through my 60 second routine and hit my poses as best I could (bloated abs and all) with a huge smile on my face.  Unfortunately my charm didn't didn't win out as I placed 8th out of 9 competitors.  After I got off stage after getting the last call out from the judges, I cried a little in the bathroom to relieve my stress, and then pulled myself together so nobody would know how upset I was.  My husband creates all my diets and he wanted to blame himself, but we were both at fault for this one.  I shouldn't have looked at the results from the first two pro physique shows this year.  


Johnny (4th place NPC Men's Physique A)  and me backstage

The girls that won those shows were pretty smooth and not very big.  Instead of realizing that they were the best ones there and not the "ideal" look for the division, I assumed that I would be going in too conditioned as I was early last week.  After the contest, I spoke with several of the the judges about what exactly I should change and where I need to improve.  By the way, this is the best piece of advice I can give to any competitor.  You'll be fresh in their minds since they just got done seeing you on stage and they'll get to know your name and face.  Anyways, they told me that I needed to be tighter (which I already knew), needed a better fit for my suit bottoms, and that I could also put on a little more muscle.  I also learned in speaking to them that tight, conditioned, and lean are all fine, just not "dry" like a bodybuilder.  That made complete sense and we've now re-strategized for my next competition in 3 weeks. 

Later that night I went ahead and "celebrated" my pro debut with some Taco Bell (they're open late...)and some cookies with frosting.  I slept almost all day Sunday and yesterday I started my new cardio regime.  I'm kicking it up a notch and will come into the next show tight, conditioned, and looking the best that my body can look!  I know what looks good on my body and you should go with what looks good on you too!!!

"Failure will not overcome me so long as my will to succeed is stronger" - Micheal S. Kirby

No comments:

Post a Comment