Welcome!

I created this blog when I began competing and use it to share my experiences as a physique competitor, personal trainer/business owner, and wife. I'm an IFBB Pro Women's Physique Competitor who is determined to re-introduce feminine muscularity to the sport. Follow me on my journey to compete in the first women's physique Olympia. I'll be writing every step of the way!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Peak Week- It's finally here!

For the past 4 months, I've been dieting and working my butt off to get to this point- peak week!  Time seems to drag on for the first 6-8 weeks, but after that it has this "snowball effect" and the days just sneak away from me until all of a sudden it's contest time!  It's been a turbulent few months- dealing with my stomach issues, my stubborn thigh fat, and just getting my head around starting the season earlier than anticipated. 

Finally, a dress that fits!
But overall I have to say that this season has been more about self-discovery and a feeling of "coming into my own" than just trying to get super lean and compete.  I'm finally going to step on stage in a division in which I really feel at home.  It's like trying on several different dresses until you find that perfect one.  Once you put that dress on, you just know it's right because it fits like a glove and makes you feel beautiful.  That's actually how I feel in the Women's Physique Division.  I tried bodybuilding but knew I couldn't get muscular enough without "pharmaceutical" help- and that simply has never been an option that I'm willing to explore.  Then I tried figure, which was an okay fit as long as I didn't flex my muscles.  Literally just standing on stage was what I had to do for 3 years and eventually that got boring.  I work my butt off every day in the gym and lift heavy to build my muscles naturally so you better believe that I want to show them!  When this new division finally came along, it felt like a breath of fresh air!  I encourage any girl who's not comfortable in their current division to try some other ones out.  There are so many options to choose from now that there's bound to be one that's a perfect fit.  You'll never know until you try so why not?  If you're having trouble deciding on a category, ask your coach or get feedback from the judges (which is what I did) and let them help you to decide in which division you should compete.  I think it's important to work with your body not against it- so picking a division that will showcase your physique in the best possible light is imperative if you want to succeed in this sport.

A lot of people ask what peak week consists of for me.  Well, here I am loading up on water for the next few days until I start depleting, and going to the ladies' room every 10 minutes (I've already gotten up twice while writing this!).  Since I'm as lean as I want to be, this week's workouts will be all about pushing blood into the muscles.  Light cardio sessions, squeezing muscles on my weight lifting days, and flexing between sets will help in bringing out any needed definition.  Plus, practicing my posing conditioning and polishing my routines will carve out those lines and help me to feel more confident on stage.  My focus in this contest will be on showing the judges my feminine muscularity and engaging the audience.  I've got a 2 minute routine for the night show to a slowish, girlie, dubstep mix (I know that sounds weird) and a 60 second routine for the morning show done to their house music.  All I want is that "I can't look away from her!" reaction...that's what brings the win :-) 

Now, let's see how it goes... 

No comments:

Post a Comment